My Favorite ME Time Indulgences
Self-care is sooo important for all of us. We get so caught up in the day to day life of being a mom that we sometimes forget that we have to fill our own cup before we fill the cups of others. Everyone's ideas on self-care may differ, but it’s important to make time to care for yourself!
And if you are subscribed to my newsletter than you’ve probably seen me talk about self-care and encouraging you to take time for yourself. You’re probably wondering what I do for myself so I thought I’d focus on the 5 things I NEED to do for myself… even with 2 active toddlers.
Here are the five things I do during ME time and for self-care that I cannot live without!
1. Mani and pedi every two to three weeks... because it just puts an instant pep in my step. I could be having the toughest week ever and it will just relax me to look down and see my nails and toe nails perfect! I just feel cleaner and more put together, which is not something I can say about how I feel in my everyday mom life.
2. My weekly blowout is a must! I have the most unruly hair. It's coarse and frizzy and wavy and if it's not properly tamed, I look a hot mess! Because my hair is harder to manage, it's too time consuming for me to style it myself. My blowouts are something I did every week for years even before children... so it's one of those things I just didn't want to give up after becoming a mom.
3. I exercise regularly. I wish I could make more time to exercise, for sure, but I try to work in at least two workouts out of the home away from kids each week. Right now it's my fave classes at Pop Physique because I love the results I get from the cardio/ballet barre workout . It works for my frame. When I'm unable to make it out of the house, I try to squeeze in exercise with my two active boys. Whether we are running through the house playing hide and seek in the different rooms, or I'm lifting them overhead and somersaulting in bed... they love to jump, run and climb, and I join them! Yep, it's that easy when you have active children.
4. I love taking my vitamins & supplements. As a busy mom and mompreneur, it's sometimes difficult to have the time to eat a nutritious meal. I try my best to eat healthy, but a lot of the times I am eating my kids' leftovers, or my meal gets cold by the time it's my turn to eat, so I leave it and opt for a bag of chips or nutritious bar instead. But, one thing I will never forgo is taking my vitamins and supplements every night before bed. Here's my list of go tos right now:
Garden of Life Organic Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement (I never stopped taking prenatals since I was pregnant then breastfeeding then pregnant again and breastfeeding haha)
5. Landofmom.com! This is my outlet. I love to read when I can too, but if I have any free time and while the kiddos are sleeping I like to work on my biz. I know what you must be thinking, how can work be considered ME time or self-care. Well, when you love what you do it feels less like work and more like a fun hobby. I love connecting with all the mamas who are part of the Happy Mom community, and with brands and partners who are aligned with my messaging to bring all the mamas the latest and greatest finds in products and services for mamas and little babes. I also love celebrating successful women! A la #MomBossMonday. I hope you enjoy the content too!
Mamas, my challenge to you is to get yourself into a self-care routine if you haven’t already… and if you have, take a moment to see if what you are doing for yourself is really filling your cup. Here are a few tips:
Create a list of things that make you happy. Really think about this and if needed change things up after a while.
Carve out me time daily/weekly to care for yourself. Take a look at your family’s schedule and see where self-care will fit in best.
Make sure to follow through on your plan. I know it’s easier to say you will take care of yourself than actually doing it, but you need to!
Let us know in the comments what you do or plan on doing for self-care!